The Westwood and Century City neighborhoods are on the west side of Los Angeles, just south of Bel Air. Both neighborhoods are immediately recognizable—Westwood for being home to the stately brick buildings and grassy lawns of the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), and Century City for the cluster of sleek high-rise buildings that can be seen in the LA skyline.
Westwood is home to students and professionals alike, feeling very much like a bustling college town. It’s quite walkable, and you’ll always be near a trendy coffee shop or an urban park.
Century City (just a few blocks south) has earned the moniker “city within a city” for a good reason. With the towering office buildings, apartments, and high-end retail, Century City offers some of the best big-city perks in Los Angeles.
- The residential crowd is made up of… Fancy high-rise apartment buildings and modest student housing, with a good mix of midcentury modern single-family homes thrown in.
- The lifestyle offered is… high-powered and energetic! You’ll find a lot of people walking in these neighborhoods, off to class or to their ambitious job in a metallic skyscraper.
- The most popular building type you’ll find is… Sleek, modern towers, or the historic buildings on UCLA’s campus.
- The average home price is… $1.4 million (Westwood) and $1.1 million (Century City).
- The area’s greatest highlight is… the convenience of “big city” living. From luxury malls to walkable dining options, there’s not much more you could ask for close by.
- The area’s best driving distance getaway is… the coast! Drive west until you hit Santa Monica, and then head south toward Venice or Long Beach.
- The best spot to dine fancy is… Craft in Century City. This fine dining spot is known for doing the basics (like grilled steak or roasted fish) better than anyone else.
- The best spot to find entertainment is… UCLA. The university puts on a ton of educational or cultural events, many of which are open to the public to attend.
- The best spot to go shopping is… Westfield Century City, a sprawling outdoor mall with all your favorite upscale stores.