Sherman Oaks is a quiet neighborhood just south of Van Nuys in the San Fernando Valley. Bordered by the Santa Monica Mountains, it feels slightly less urban than other nearby areas. Residents enjoy the good eats at gastropubs, upscale shopping, and local hiking.
Attracting young and middle aged affluent professionals with families, the Sherman Oaks area features pleasant, wide streets and plenty of greenery. It was founded in 1927, and today, there’s a mix of historic buildings and modern new builds.
- The residential crowd is made up of… modest but upmarket homes in a mix of architectural styles, including Spanish and modern. Homes usually have yards and streets have sidewalks, creating a family-friendly environment.
- The lifestyle offered is… relaxed, comfortable, and family-friendly. Sherman Oaks residents prefer a delicious outdoor lunch at a local restaurant to late-night drinks.
- The most popular building type is… historic or modern residential homes or new build apartments, with stretches of commercial retail and restaurant spaces.
- The average home price is… $1.2 million, which is more than neighboring Van Nuys and Studio City.
- The area’s greatest highlight is… the safe community of families and the proximity to the Santa Monica Mountains!
- The area’s best driving distance getaway is… Topanga State Park. The park is considered the world’s largest wildland within the limits of a major city. Residents of Sherman Oaks only have to drive 30 minutes to reach the park, where they can hike, picnic, mountain bike, or ride horses.
- The best spot to dine fancy is… Sushi Note! Though not white-table-cloths fancy, this spot has earned its notoriety as the best place in the neighborhood for the highest-quality sushi and amazing wine pairings.
- The best spot to find entertainment is… Sherman Oaks Castle Park, if you have children as many Sherman Oaks residents do. Castle Park is a family recreation center featuring an arcade, mini-golf course, and batting cages. And it’s built to resemble a medieval castle!
- The best spot to go shopping is… the Westfield Fashion Square, a large shopping mall featuring fashion staples like Bloomingdales.