Malibu, stretching along a rocky stretch of the Pacific coastline, is about 40 minutes to an hour outside Los Angeles. Multi-million dollar homes perch atop oceanside cliffs, and the sound of crashing waves fills the air.
It’s no wonder that Malibu is the destination for moneyed individuals looking for a serene and private escape. But beach, surf, and nature lovers also drive into Malibu from around LA. There are dozens of secluded beaches nestled between cliffs and a large number of nature preserves. You’ll also find plenty of delightful seafood restaurants, a few wineries, and a road tripper’s paradise—the Pacific Coast Highway.
- The residential crowd is made up of… palatial mansions with wide ocean views, and the beachy townhomes that line the Pacific Coast Highway.
- The lifestyle offered is… quiet, luxury, and attuned to nature. Residents spend time exploring beaches, attending yoga classes, and walking through the many nature reserves.
- The most popular building type you’ll find is… immense, streamlined, modern mansions, with floor-to-ceiling windows facing the ocean.
- The average home price is… $3 million.
- The area’s greatest highlight is… The quintessential coastal California landscape. The entire neighborhood is turned out to the sea, where you can gaze upon endless cliffs that drop sharply into the ocean.
- The area’s best driving distance getaway is… Santa Barbara. The luxurious resort city is just a little over an hour drive—up the breathtaking Pacific Coast Highway.
- The best spot to dine fancy is… Mastro’s Ocean Club. This oceanside fine dining spot is the pinnacle of sophistication, serving fresh and expertly prepared seafood.
- The best spot to find entertainment is… the historic Malibu Pier. You can take a leisurely stroll down this long pier to find restaurants and shops.
- The best spot to go shopping is… Malibu Country Mart. This outdoor shopping center is full of unique, boutique stores and art galleries that won’t be found anywhere else.